Happy Mother's Day to all of you! If you live on the East Coast like me, you spent the day braving chilly temperatures and unusually gusty winds. After over-enjoying an incredible gourmet Mother's Day brunch buffet, sleeping it all off with an hour long nap, I woke up craving some chilly weather comfort food. I didn't want anything too heavy, so I turned to this old favorite... Butternut squash that is braised with butter and broth and lightly sweetened with sugar. The flavor of the sage and nutmeg are perfect compliments to this dish.
Fresh Pasta with Butternut Squash
and Brown Butter Sage Sauce
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma
- 8 TBSP of Butter
- 2 lbs of Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1" square (or buy prepackaged fresh cut squash)
- 2 TBSP of Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Chicken Broth (or vegetable broth to keep this a vegetarian dish)
- 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 medium Onion, diced
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 TBSP minced fresh sage (or 1/2 TBSP dried)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 TBSP minced fresh parsley (1 TBSP dried)
- 1, 12 oz package of fresh pasta sheets, cut into 1" ribbons (I used "lasagna sheets")
- fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Begin a pot of salted water to boil for the pasta while you make the sauce.
In a heavy bottomed pot or wide skillet, melt 3 TBSP of butter. Add squash in a single layer; cook, without stirring, about 6 minutes. Stir squash, cook 4 minutes more. Add sugar, broth, salt and pepper. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes. Uncover; cook, stirring occasionally 2-3 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl.
In the same pot/skillet, over medium-high heat, melt 5 TBSP of butter. Cook onions, nutmeg, and sage for 1-2 minutes. Take off the heat, add lemon juice and parsley. And return squash to pot. Cover and keep warm.
Cook pasta ribbons for 5 minutes, or to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Add pasta and reserved water to the squash; toss to combine. Transfer pasta to plates, top with fresh grated parmesan and sprinkle with pine nuts.
*If you can't find fresh pasta sheets, try fresh cheese raviolis. **This is also wonderful with grilled chicken apple sausage, sliced and mixed in with the pasta!